Find out why your heat pump is leaking water
- Pool heat pumps, well any heat pumps produce condensation as a by product from operation.
- As the humid air is passed over a cold heat exchanger to absorb the energy the humidity condenses on the heat exchanger and drips into the tray below.
- An easy test to check that the water is condensation is by doing a sample test of the water with either a strip test or asking your pool technician/ pool shop to test it. If it is free of chemicals then it is purely condensation, if there are chemicals present contact your pool technician for further investigation.
- Other things to check
- Check the drain barb is connected to the underside of the pool heater
- Check the drain hose is not blocked and is freely flowing out of the hose
- It may seem that the water level in your pool is dropping at the same rate, this is most likely due to you heating your pool and having a higher rate of evaporation causing the water to reduce in your pool.
- Note that in high humidity days there can also be a small build up on the underside of the heater where the tray is full of cold condensation and then can condensate on the underside of the heater.
- Defrost conditions can also produce more water and will occur in colder climate conditions